Tips On Finding Salem OR Real Estate to Rent
With the continued rise in foreclosures and the economic hardships which have forced owners of Salem OR real estate to sell their current home and become renters, there is, understandably, an increased demand for rental properties. At such a stressful time, it is helpful to know how to approach the rental house search and to arm yourself with a plan.
1. KNOW WHAT YOU WANT IN TERMS OF THE FOLLOWING:
- Location. Scout out desirable communities and their schools. Look for nearby medical facilities and stores and a location’s proximity to your workplace.
- Type and size of dwelling: Will you consider a condo or townhouse/ How about a duplex? How many bedrooms/bathrooms do you need.
- Essential features: Do you insist on a fenced yard? A community pool? Is air-conditioning a must? How many parking spaces will you require? Is a garage a necessity?
- Condition of home: Determine in advance what you’re willing to accept in terms of updates--or lack of them. Can you live with older appliances and cabinets? How flexible are you when it comes to living conditions?
- Costs. What are the going rental rates in your desired location? How much can you afford to pay for utilities?
2. SET UP A BUDGET WHICH INCLUDES AT LEAST THE FOLLOWING ITEMS:
- Rent: Basic monthly rental. Is extra charged for pets?
- Utilities: Some rentals include water, heat, and air-conditioning. Many do not. What are reasonable expectations for these expenses? Remember to include costs for telephone and Internet.
- Moving costs: Will you move yourself or hire a company to do so? Carefully consider all fees associated with a move, things such as babysitters, pet care, food expenses, etc.
- Deposit costs: Usually a month’s rent in advance--and additional fees for pets, if applicable.
- Utility connections fees at the new rental home.
3 EXPLORE A WIDE VARIETY OF RESOURCES IN YOUR SEARCH.
- Contact a Realtor. His/her fee is paid by the landlord.
- Read classified ads to find Salem OR real estate for rent.
- Use word of mouth to advertise your search. Let colleagues, neighbors, friends, and family members know what you’re looking for.
- Contact owners of Salem OR real estate which has been on the market for a long time. It is possible that they may consider renting their home to you.
- Visit on-line sites dedicated to rentals: Go to 1. rentals.com 2. Backpage.com 3. aol.com 4. Craigslist.com 5. Realtor.com 6. Oodle.com 7. Forrent.com 8. Move.com 9. Rent.com and yahoo.com. Sites such as Rentometer.com, HotPads.com, and Cazoodle.com allow you compare and analyze rents in a certain area.
4. BE INFORMED:
- Carefully read the terms of all leases.
- Visit local schools in advance.
- Check out traffic patterns in an area at different times of day.
- Talk with residents already living in a community you’re considering.
5. BE READY TO ACT QUICKLY.
- Be advised that really good Salem OR real estate goes quickly!
Dewey and Dave Whitton are Salem’s Relocation Experts and understand that moving is both an exciting and stressful process. That’s why they do everything in their power not only to help you find the perfect home but also make you feel right at home.
Dewey and Dave assist buyers looking for Salem Oregon real estate for sale and aggressively market Salem Oregon homes for sale. Be sure to Download your free guide to Salem and learn everything you need to know about making Salem, Oregon, your new hometown.