Green Improvements For Your Salem Oregon Home
Want to save energy, water, and money--and help Planet Earth at the same time? How? Go Green with these suggestions from Realtors, contractors, and environmental groups. Not only will you reap the benefits now, you will also gain monetarily when you sell your Salem Oregon home.
1. PLANT TREES AND SHRUBS; This is the top recommendation by realtors. Native trees, shrubs, and plants require less water (and thus less maintenance) than traditional plants, provide shade, and are relatively inexpensive. The addition of these items adds appeal to your yard and will attract home buyers who are willing to pay more for such enhancements.
2. REPLACE ALL AIR FILTERS on a regular basis to increase the efficiency of your heating/AC systems.
3. WEATHERSTRIP AND CAULK ALL DOORS AND WINDOWS: You would be quite surprised at the amount of heat and air that escapes from your Salem Oregon home on a daily basis--and at what that loss costs you each month!
4. INSTALL PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTATS; Why pay for heating or air conditioning when you aren’t at home?
5. RETHINK YOUR PLUMBING: There are many green plumbing products on the market today, some of which will even earn you a tax credit. Green plumbing can include new layouts, low-flow toilets and shower heads, energy efficient and tankless hot water heaters, a hot water demand system, and solar hot water heating. Each of these features will save energy, water, and money and will produce fewer pollutants. Check with your water and power companies to see if they give rebates for making these improvements.
6. USE AUTO TURN OFF POWER STRIPS to reduce the amount of energy being used.
7. INSTALL CFL OR LED LIGHTS: Another way to decrease energy use. Energy Star reports that if every American home replaced just one light with a compact fluorescent light (CFL), we would save enough electricity to light more than 3 million homes for a year, eliminate 700 million dollars in annual energy costs, and prevent 9 billion pounds of greenhouse gas emissions per year! Light emitting diodes (LEDs) are smaller, less susceptible to breakage, use less energy, and are longer lasting than incandescent bulbs.
8. PAINT WITH LOW VOC (VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS) PAINT: This product has fewer harmful compounds, and by using it you can improve the quality of air inside your Salem Oregon home. Not only will you make the home’s interior safer, you will also provide relief to anyone suffering from asthma and other respiratory problems, As a testament to their “green-ness,” VOC paints are not considered hazardous waste material.
Dewey and Dave Whitton are Salem’s Relocation Experts and understand that moving is both an exciting and stressful process. That’s why they do everything in their power not only to help you find the perfect home but also make you feel right at home.
Dewey and Dave assist buyers looking for Salem Oregon real estate for sale and aggressively market Salem Oregon homes for sale. Be sure to Download your free guide to Salem and learn everything you need to know about making Salem, Oregon, your new hometown.