Fall Fix-Ups For Your Salem OR Home
Fall is a time to turn your attention from relaxing vacations to exterior fall maintenance of your Salem OR home. Most of the “tune-up” tips which follow are relatively easy to do and require little money. So take long, critical look at your property to assess the exterior of the property. Look for loose shingles and boards, faded paint, chimney damage, yard clutter, dirty drive and walk ways, and landscaping in need of refurbishing.
I. CLEAN UP:
- Remove grime and mold from railings, ledges, and windows.
- Rent or borrow a power washer for cleaning concrete walks, driveways, and dirty paint.
- Remove clutter from your yard. Put summer items away and empty and store summer plant containers.
- Clean clogged gutters.
- Put yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, etc.)out for pickup in a timely manner.
II. SPRUCE UP:
- Repaint front doors, railings, gutters, window trim, and mailbox if needed.
- Trim overgrown bushes and plants to keep them away from the walls of your _______ home.
- Consider replacing old door hardware and house numbers.
- Use plants of bright fall colors to enhance your flowerbeds (mums, asters, marigolds, and winter pansies are good choices).
- Add pumpkins, cornstalks, or an autumn wreath to your entranceway.
III. KEEP UP:
- Check weather stripping and seals on outside windows and doors for heating efficiency.
- Examine the brickwork on the chimney for defects.
- Keep your lawn mowed, weeded, and fertilized.
- Put down mulch to retard weed growth in the flowerbeds of your Salem OR home.
IV. LIGHT UP:
- Install low voltage lights along walkways.
- Replace your old porch light fixture.
- Use interior lighting to enhance your Salem OR home’s appearance from the outside.
In addition to exterior fix-ups, you also need to make some indoor preparations for winter:
- Set traps to eliminate pests and mice.
- Wrap pipes to insulated them (pre-fitted materials are now available).
- Have your furnace inspected by a professional.
- Make certain that the inside of the chimney is free of nests, debris, and the like.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat. Some can be found for as little as $70.
Time’s awastin’! Don’t fall behind on your autumn fix-it list!
Dewey and Dave Whitton are Salem’s Relocation Experts and understand that moving is both an exciting and stressful process. That’s why they do everything in their power not only to help you find the perfect home but also make you feel right at home.
Dewey and Dave assist buyers looking for Salem Oregon real estate for sale and aggressively market Salem Oregon homes for sale. Be sure to Download your free guide to Salem and learn everything you need to know about making Salem, Oregon, your new hometown.